Are you wondering which rice cakes are low-calorie food items, but have few benefits when it comes to full-fledged nutritional values? However, some rice cakes have a source of fiber and certain nutritional components.
But still, it is counted as a low-nutrient food. Some rice cakes are added with sugar and salt. So when one buys this package's rice cake packet, one should check the ingredient labels. Always choose the one that is healthy for you.
Here are some numerical values when it comes to plain, unsalted brown rice cakes is all about:
|Amount Daily Value (% Daily Value)
|7.3 g –
|0.4 g –
|0.1 g –
|0.3 g –
|0.1 g –
|0.1 g –
|0.1 g –
|0 g –
|0.7 g –
|2.3 mg (0.1% DV)
|0.3 mg (13% DV)
|0.7 mg (4% DV)
|2.2 mg (4% DV)
|32.4 mg (3% DV)
|11.8 mg (3% DV)
Note: Daily values are based on a diet of 2,000 calories a day.
Are Rice Cakes Healthy?
Are rice cakes healthy? Well, when one eats one or two slices of rice cake in a day, it is considered healthy. Eating a few quantities easily can be digested, but more than that can increase glucose levels in the body. Let’s explore some of its advantages:
Here is a list of the advantages or benefits of eating rice cakes as your full-fledged snack item.
1. Low Carb Food Stuff
If you want to cut down your fat and lose weight, then eating this low-carb food is the best choice. Instead of consuming other high-carb foods like french fries, bread, wraps, crackers, chips, and rolls, eating rice cake as your snack is best. Neither eating one or two won't put you on weight, nor can it increase your carb intake.
During hunger time, if you have food cravings instead of eating other snacks with similar ingredients, eating this rice cake as a snack is good. One more benefit is that it is gluten-free if it is not made with wheat, rye, or barley flour. As we know, rice is not a gluten-containing grain.
2. Have Whole Grain
Despite eating other types of whole grain crackers or crisp bread, eating rice cakes is the perfect choice as they are lower in fiber. Eating whole grains like brown rice plus seeds have little dietary fiber food values that are always needed daily.
The rice cake also offers some moderate values of nutrients, such as:
- B vitamins like Niacin and Selenium.
These are great for balancing your sugar level and enhancing your immune system.
3. Convenient and Versatile
The rice cake does not have any flavor unless artificial flour is added to it. Rice cake has numerous uses and can be used in a variety of recipes, such as sweet and savory.
You can add some additional toppings like avocado with bagel seasoning or sliced apples with peanut butter to make it more scrumptious. The good thing about this rice cake is that it won’t need to be refrigerated and is very easy to make.
Cons Of Rice Cakes
A coin has two sides! So, when one sees its positive side, then there are negative aspects, too. Here are some disadvantages of eating rice cakes:
a. High Carbohydrates/High Glycemic Index Score
Rice cake contains carbohydrates. As it is processed, it is said to be empty calories. Eating one or two rice cakes won’t have more carbs.
However, if you eat more than one or two rice cake products, then it can contribute to high sugar and carb values. Most rice cakes have a high glycemic index, which can raise the blood glucose level in the body very rapidly.
Do you know why bodybuilders consume these rice cakes? It is the source of carbs that help the bodybuilder build their muscle when they do resistance exercises.
b. Low Nutrient Values
A few types of whole grains in the form of rice, such as brown rice, black rice, and wild rice, do not have antioxidant values, and also, the nutrient values are zero due to the absence of antioxidants such as allium sulfur compounds.
So, it has a risk of rising sugar levels in the body, which poses diseases like diabetes and obesity.
Some Interesting Facts About Rice Cakes
Stuck your eyes here! Now, we are going to discuss a few amazing facts that you did not know! Such as:
How To Garnish Your Rice Cakes?
Here are some healthy tips on how to top-up your health plan rice cake to make it tastier and add more nutritional value.
- You can add a few slices of lettuce, tomato, and turkey bacon, and you can also spread cheese cottage on your rice cake to enrich the rich protein in them.
- Garnish with one / fourth cup of cottage cheese and sliced avocado. As we know, Cottage cheese has high protein, and avocado has good fat.
- You can garnish your planned rice cake with tuna salad, adding one tablespoon of mayo, along with a leaf of lettuce if you like to eat veggies.
- Peanut butter, cashew butter, and almond butter are great choices as they contain protein.
- Not only does topping with Greek yogurt and berries make your plain rice cake tastier, but also adding sliced cucumbers and two tablespoons of hummus can double your nutritional values and be rich in fiber and protein. You can also garnish the dish with a handful of raspberries, blueberries, or sliced strawberries, or add honey for sweeter.
Are Rice Cakes Easy To Digest?
As they contain low-FODMAP food, our body absorbs these FODMAPs poorly during the process of digestion. For some people, these FODMAPS might result in bloating, cramps, gas, and pain.
As brown rice is naturally gluten-free, those who aren't able to digest gluten should avoid eating brown rice.
The FODMAP stands for the following things such as:
Can Diabetic People Eat Rice Cakes?
The rice cake is rich in carbs that have a chance to raise blood sugar levels. So, it is not the best choice for people to consume rice cake for those who have diabetes.
However, a single rice cake contains 7 grams of carbs. So, it can fit into one meal in a day as per your snacks, at most.
Add healthy protein, fat, and fiber to your meal diet when you are consuming plain rice cake to reduce blood sugar. The above section shows how you can top up your planned rice cake by adding more ingredients.
Can Rice Cake Help To Reduce Weight?
When one wants to replace high-calorie, high-carb foods, then rice cakes are the best option.
For instance, When one eats one plain bagel with two plain brown rice cakes, cut out 230 calories and 45 grams of carbs. So eating this can reduce calorie intake, which leads to reduced weight.
How Much One Can Eat Rice Cake?
Rice cake is a good snack for those who are looking for a light and crunchy treat because it has low-calorie options. It is important to take only a small portion to maintain a balanced diet. Here are some tips on how much one can take rice cake in a day such as:
Understanding Portion Control:
- One can take only 1 to 2 cakes in a whole day.
- Each rice cake has a range between 35 to 70 calories. It depends upon what brand you prefer and the added topping on it.
Consider Your Dietary Goals:
- If you are thinking of cutting your weight or want to lose, then always remember to take off calories.
- Always try to add some healthy topping to your rice cake, such as protein-rich foodstuff like nut butter, hummus, or cottage cheese, which can add healthy values to your body and make you feel satisfied.
- As it is low-carb and a lightweight snack one can eat when they have snack cravings. If one needs to add some value to your diet, then topping some extra ingredients is good and could be counted into a healthy diet.
- One can add some fruits, vegetables, or lean protein items into your rice cake if one has to make it a full-fledged healthy diet.
Listen to Your Body:
- When one has a hunger carving then pay attention to your body signs. Eat when you are hungry.
- Chew your diet slowly so that you can prevent eating too much and you can satisfy yourself.
Avoid Mindless Munching:
- If you have a habit of eating snacks daily, then check overeating
- Do not consume more than that to avoid being overweight.
- Always remember to drink water after consuming rice cakes, which helps you digest it quickly.
- When you eat rice cake, sometimes you feel thirstier. To ease this issue, you can take as much water as your body needs.
Always have a balanced diet when one is eating rice cake. Apart from this, the article here can give you insight into what rice cake is, its pros and cons, and some interesting facts one must know about whether rice cakes are healthy.
Health is wealth! So always eat a balanced diet to be healthy, wealthy, and wise!!
1. Why are rice cakes known as a low-carb diet?
Ans: Rice cakes are low in carbs due to their main source of ingredient, rice, which is low in carbohydrates. Also, the puffiness in nature makes the rice cake have a low-carb profile.
2. Do rice cakes have any nutritional benefits?
Ans: Rice cake has no nutritional value as it is low-carb and gluten-free. It can be good for snacks but it can’t be a full-fledged meal. If one wants to add some nutrient values can add extra toppings to make a balanced diet.
3. Are rice cakes considered to be good for gluten-free diets?
Ans: Yes, rice cake is gluten-free as it is solely prepared by rice. It is safe to consume not more than one or two. Good for those people who are gluten sensitivities or want a gluten-free diet.
4. Which countries consume these rice cakes more?
Ans: Rice cakes are more popular consumed in Asian countries, such as South Korea and Japan. South Asian countries' staple food is rice, including India. Gradually the United States and some European nations are also eating this rice cake nowadays.