Fat is essential for guarding your organs and maintaining life. But it is determined by genetics, where you store fat. Believe it or not, one of the first spots to witness fat storage is your inner thighs.
Accessing inner thigh fat can affect your normal walking and standing posture. People with inner thigh fat are more prone to rashes and skin infections, and even the thighs rub against each other.
So, now the question is how to get rid of fat on inner thigh fat. Generally, it is impossible to reduce fat in just one area of the body, but reducing body weight can reduce fat in the legs.
So, if you are ready to tone your thighs up, we have you covered. Here, we will discuss its causes and some effective ways to reduce inner thigh fat healthily and sustainably.
What Causes Inner Thigh Fat?
Consuming more calories than you can burn, these additional calories are stored somewhere else in your body as they are not being used, and it turns out to be called fat. Many reasons cause inner thigh fat. Read on!
- Genetics – It is determined by our genetics the way our body stores and processes fat. Women typically store fat in their hips, lower belly, and inner thighs. In contrast, men store fat in their abdomen.
- Anatomy – As women have larger pelvis designed for childbearing, inner thigh fat is more generally experienced by women.
- Weight gain – As stated above, the fat accumulates when you take more calories than your body can burn. So, it can be witnessed in various body parts.
- Lack of physical activity – Lack of exercise and activity slows down blood circulation and energy speed, promoting fat accumulation.
- Knee and back problems – According to experts, lower back pain and knee osteoarthritis can cause bad posture and limited movement, getting fat in the inner thighs.
- Hormonal changes – Hormonal imbalances generally produce inner thigh fat due to age, menopause, pregnancy, or other aspects. This slows your metabolism while estrogen increases fat cells, making it more challenging to tone the inner thighs.
9 Effective Ways to Lose Inner Thigh Fat
Losing inner thigh fat is possible with the combination of a nutritious eating plan and regular exercise. Below are nine ways to get rid of fat:
1. Change Diet
Since fat gain depends on your calorie intake, it’s time to reduce your calorie intake to lose inner thigh fat. 3,500 calories is the same as one pound of fat. Try to cut 500 calories for a week and lose about 1 to 2 pounds in a week.
Some diet changes to help you get rid of inner thigh fat are:
- Consume complex carbohydrates and lean protein: These carbohydrates are created from unprocessed plant-based and whole foods to offer you energy and keep you full longer. Some lean protein include chicken breast, eggs, lentils, or tofu.
- Bypass saturated, processed foods, and trans fats: Food high in saturated fats can cause raised stored fat throughout the body. These processed foods have high levels of sugar, fat, and salt, making you eat them more because they do not include healthy nutrients like protein or fiber.
- Eat small meals throughout the day: Consider eating small, frequent meals so you’ll be less likely to eat later. Plan to begin your day to include a healthy breakfast and snacks like bananas, nuts, apples, or vegetables.
2. Incorporate Cardio and Strength Training
To lose fat, there are two different forms of exercise:
- Aerobic: Exercise performed over longer periods, like cardio activities such as running, walking, or biking to rate up your heart.
- Anaerobic: Exercise performed for shorter periods, like high-intensity interval training (HIIT) or strength training.
It is advisable to perform the combination of both forms of cardio and strength training to get maximum benefit. Cardio exercises help burn calories at the moment and strength training helps you burn calories throughout the day. Exercising both forms 4 to 5 days a week is advisable to witness the best results.
HIIT, or high-intensity interval training, is one of the most effective tools for building strength, beating fat, and accelerating metabolism. It not only burns many calories but also influences your overall metabolism by totally altering your insulin response.
To get the real metabolic benefits of HIIT, one needs to perform high intensity from 30 seconds to some minutes with 85-95% of your maximum effort. To change your body composition and get a leaner thigh, do weighted strength exercises as a part of your workout.
Pilates is another way to burn inner thigh fat. This full-body workout builds your core strength and improves balance and flexibility.
Pilates can magically burn fat and change your overall body shape, including your inner thigh area and surrounding areas.
However, some think that pilates is a misconception and does not have benefits, But the truth is it is one of the best ways to burn fat on the inner thighs.
5. Reduce Stress
A hormone named cortisol is released by the body when someone takes stress. It affects metabolism and promotes cravings for sugar and additional refined carbohydrates, which drives fat to accumulate in the body.
People prone to stress feel more tired and start ordering fast food rather than preparing a healthy meal at home. These habits can fast cause weight gain in the inner thighs. Below are some tips to reduce stress levels:
- Do regular exercise.
- Consume a balanced diet.
- Practice meditation and mindfulness.
- Deeply breathing.
- Try advanced muscle relaxation.
- Spend some time with nature.
- Evaluate priorities and reduce the basis of stress.
6. Consider a ketogenic (keto) diet.
Keto diets are very similar to low-carb diets since they cut down on carbohydrates. It replaces them with fats and proteins. Also, the keto diet involves meals that are higher in fat and lower in protein.
- Eat 20-25 grams of carbs per day.
- Get about 70-75% of your calories from fat, 5-10% from carbs, and 20-25% from protein.
- Get a carb counter guide to track how many carbs are in certain foods.
7. Eat Plenty of Low-Fat Dairy
To control the fat cells and break down fat, calcium is one of the best options. Low-fat dairy items like milk and yogurt can help weight loss. Especially for women prone to osteoporosis, it is necessary to include low-fat dairy products in your diet.
- Instead of whole or no-fat dairy, consider low-fat dairy products as not-fat dairy is usually packed with sugars.
- Increase your diet consumption of yogurt, milk, and cottage cheese. Compared to hard cheeses, creams, and butter, these dairy products are lower in fat.
- Children above 9 years should take approximately 3 cups of dairy daily. Kids between 2-3 years should take approximately 2 cups of dairy daily, while children between 4-8 should consume about 2.5 cups daily.
8. Up Your Electrolytes Levels
Electrolyte levels are naturally maintained by water, but you can also consider sports drinks or coconut water to boost your levels before a workout.
Remember that there is a time to consume these types of drinks as some may be high in sugar. So, drink them before rigorous training and pick low-calorie options.
It’s important to remember that there is a time to consume these types of drinks as some of them may be high in sugar. So consume them only before a hard workout or pick low-calorie options if you can.
9. Hamstring Exercises
Another of the best ways to get rid of fat inner thighs is performing hamstring exercises, whether by yourself or in the consultation of a trainer or coach. Below are three ways:
- Put your leg on a chair, grab it with your hand, and pull your leg forward.
- Put your feet on the floor, raise your leg, and drag it backward.
- Put your feet on the floor and raise one foot straight up while keeping the other on the ground.
Doing these exercises regularly can reduce your thigh fat naturally. Just take 10 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening and perform them about 4-5 days a week, resulting in building muscle mass.
Exercises to Lose Inner Thighs Fat
Now, after learning about ways to reduce inner thigh fat, check out some exercises to lose inner thigh fat, keep your muscles strong, and give you a lean look. Check them out!
i). Sumo Squat
- Keep your feet wide, and turn your toes positions to about 10:00 and 2:00. Hold a dumbbell in resistance.
- Bend your knees, keep your chest high, and keep your knees pointed out over your toes. As you come out of the sumo squat, squeeze your abs, glutes, and inner thighs.
- Practice 2 sets of 12–15 reps.
ii). Side Lunge
- Put your feet together and stand tall. Hold a dumbbell at your chest for resistance.
- Now, step out your right leg and pull your hips back as you bend your right knee. Remember your knee should not move more than 2 inches from your toes, and keep your knee aligned.
- Now, return to a standing position by pushing off your right leg.
- Repeat the same steps with the left leg.
- Practice 2 sets of 12–15 reps.
iii). Curtsy Lunge
- Put your feet together and stand tall.
- Put your right leg behind the left. Then, bend your bent knees and pull both knees toward the midline to squeeze your inner thighs.
- As you stand, you can either tap your right foot or lift the knee to exit the curtsy lunge for a greater intensity and balance challenge.
- Repeat the same process on the right side for 10–12 reps.
- Then, repeat on the left and do an additional set on each side.
- Stand putting your feet together, knees slightly bent, and abdominals engaged.
- Allow yourself to leave the floor by pushing off with your right leg to hop to your left.
- Cross your right leg slightly behind as you land on your left leg, hinged forward at the hip.
- To complete the full rep, return to the right side with a slight hop.
- You can perform faster as more of a power move with a strong cardio effect, or you can go slower with an emphasis on a range of motion. Ultimately, you will strengthen your inner thighs with your glutes and abdominals.
v). Side-lying adduction
- Lay down on one side on the floor, making your leg bent, and drop it forward. Now, support your top leg with a pillow or yoga block for your comfort, if needed.
- Now, extend your other leg. As you lift your bottom leg, keep your hips stacked, engaging your abdomen as you raise and lower your leg.
- Before switching to the other side, practice 15-20 reps. Perform 2 sets on each side.
vi). Jumping Jacks
- Stand straight and pull your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Now, clap your hands by stretching them wide above your head.
- By keeping your arms on your side, go back to the same position.
- If you are a beginner, start slowly and repeat with 10 reps. If you are an expert, aim for 20 reps with 5 sets.
vii). Air Cycling
- Lay down on the floor with your face towards the ceiling.
- Lift your legs and put them 90 degrees parallel to the floor.
- Then, move your legs like pedaling a cycle. Continue it for a minute.
- Now, cycle forward for 1 minute by moving your legs.
- Repeat the same process backward for 1 min.
- Repeat this process at least 5 times.
Losing inner thigh fat can be challenging, but it is possible with dedication and the right strategies. Adopting a smart approach that combines strength training, noninvasive treatments, and a healthy, balanced diet is key to reducing overall body fat, including in the inner thighs.
Yes, losing the inner thigh fat can be challenging, but with the proper strength training, HIIT, a healthy and balanced diet, and cardio workouts, anyone can aim for lean, toned, and beautiful legs.